Thursday, October 7, 2010

What Matters Most

Tonight I finally sit down to prepare a lesson for the young women in my church when after only a few minutes I hear Smith coming down the hall. It's after ten and I am done dealing with him. If he takes a nap during the day we pay for it at night!

So I am on the LDS webiste searching for a talk when he sees a picture of Jesus and starts to talk about Him, I just ignore him. It sounds horrible but I know Smith and he has a plan. He'll try and talk to me in a sweet voice and act interested in what I'm doing just trying to prolong his time out of his room. I'm tired and don't want to get up again so I figure I'll put him back in a few minutes.

So I keep searching, he keeps talking, and I keep ignoring. Out of the corner of my eye I see his little fingers wiggling and notice that he's been telling me the same story over and over. I see the desperate look in his eye for me to listen to him - so I listen. He is telling me about Joseph Smith and the first vision. He starts by saying, "Smith, Joseph, like me Smith". Then those same little fingers I saw wiggling earlier represent that there were "too many churches" that he "didn't know which church" so he went to "the grass and prayed" and that "Jesus came". He went on to talk about the Book of Mormon and "the true church, my church". I couldn't believe my little two year old (almost 3) understood the first vision let alone could repeat the story.

I was instantly humbled as I listened to him. I was reminded that even when we are doing "good" things we can sometimes let them get in the way of what matters most. In this case it was my little boy sharing with me his budding testimony of the first vision. I would of preferred to have had this experience like 2 hours earlier but it never seems to work out that way.





6 comments:

The Oakey's said...

I love your stories! My little Ryan sounds so much like Smith! I wish we were closer so our kids could be friends :) You need to update this thing more often, I love reading your posts! Hope all is well and good luck on your lesson this sunday (i should be working on mine right now)

amybutler said...

Just like Smith to leave the impressive stuff for after bedtime. He's too smart! We love the pictures! He's so sweet and darling in the pictures, at least you've got that side of him immortalized in print. Tell him his Aunt Amy misses him.(and Eliza and Isaac too)

Amy said...

Oh how I miss that little boy! I can't believe he knows that story so well already. What a sweet mommy moment. And those pics are adorable! Reading this post made me miss those (almost) daily visits dropping off the boys and sharing our frustrations and adventurous times with our kids. Miss you!

Kris and Libby Brown said...

This is the sweetest story!!! I miss you so much! PLEASE let me know the next time you're in Utah. I've been thinking a lot about you lately and about what an amazing friend you are! I love my Mish!

The Platt's said...

i miss your family!

jonna said...

I knew some special children had joined our primary when you moved into the ward. I just had no idea HOW special. Sweet experience, to be sure!